Kale is one of those foods that can be tricky to deal with. It's tough, and bitter, and can be texturally unappealing (I think I just made up the word, texturally). Yet, it's amazing high in so many vitamins and nutrients. In addition to the known benefits of it's fiber and iron content, kale is also extremely high in:
- Vitamin K, which builds strong bones and prevents heart disease
- Vitamin A, for good vision and a healthy immune system
- Manganese, for healthy bone structure and metabolism
- Copper, which helps us the body utilize iron, as well as increase energy levels, and
- Vitamin B6, which aids in proper brain function and mood regulation
Anyway, I like it baked into kale chips, blended in smoothies, or cooked down in heart-warming soups. Here's a toast to soup season with this broccoli kale delight.
- 1 large head of broccoli, chopped
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 gloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1-2 cups coconut milk
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Sea salt to taste
- Sour cream and chives, optional for topping
Steam the broccoli until just slightly tender. Set into a large blender.
Add the oil in a medium saucepan on medium heat. Add the garlic and stir 1-2 minutes, until fragrant but not brown. Add in the onion and stir until tender (about 5 minutes). Add the kale and stir another 3-5 minutes, until soft.
Add the kale, broth, and milk to the blender (with the already cooked broccoli). Add the basil, red pepper flakes, and blend until smooth. Add salt to taste.
Return back to a large pot. Heat thoroughly, and serve immediately.