On this journey to bring my soul to life in the most vibrant way possible, I want to express wellness in as many ways as possible.
Part of the way I think of wellness refers to your hands. They have five fingers each, and uniquely represent on aspect of wellness.
The pinky is a way to think of physical wellness, as it's often the one that comes to mind first when we think of health.
My physical body has changed lots over the past two years as I haven't been seated this many hours a day since college.
I'm an active person that likes to release tension via exercise, and feels great moving my body to play games and try new things. So, it's been odd to be stationary for so long each day.
But, as I reflect on the many aspects of physical wellness, it's not just about exercise (although returning to a daily yoga practice and stretching after golf is part of my goal list), physical health is bigger than that. It includes:
- how much water I've been drinking each day
- what kinds of foods I'm putting in my mouth
- how my body is processing those foods daily, and how I feel after eating them
- how much alcohol I've been drinking (you know I love mixing unique cocktails, but I've often been doing so to release the stress from work. A habit I am in the process of releasing via this process)
- the amount of quality sleep I'm receiving
- the kind of rest I am giving my body during the day
- the daily teeth brushing, flossing, and usage of my water pick (an amazing water flosser. Seriously! If you haven't tried one, I highly recommend it)
- taking time away from my computer to rest my eyes at work (and clear my head)
Instead of making a long to-do list of things I want to accomplish physically, I'm using the questions below as my guide to point me in a general direction. Then, I'm making a conscious decision to listen to my body (and its inner wisdom) when making decisions for each day.
Here are some great questions to enhance your physical health today:
- How can I attend to my physical health over the next year?
- What daily choices can I start making to keep my physical body well?
- Do I want to see a diffference in my physical body a year from now? If so, what would it look like?
- Am I getting enough rest for my body right now? If not, how can this be incorporated into my daily routine?
- Are there any other areas of my physical wellness that I want to enhance? If so, what are they?
As I write these questions, and respond internally to the changes I want to make, a quote comes to mind:
It takes strength and disciple to care for our physical wellness, but it also takes the willingness to be kind and gentle with it as well.
Here's to tapping in to your inner warrior today!