This picture not only makes me smile, but it reminds me that relationships are not always steady. In fact, they are quite the opposite!
We are always changing and growing, and so are the people with whom we interact. And, it's the contrast of these personalities, behaviors and decisions of others that allow us to more uniquely express who we are. It's these interactions that also allow us to take inventory of our social wellness.
There are times, though, when I find that I am bothered by the actions of others. I am tired of the poor communication skills, the selfish actions, and the lack of integrity to follow their words with actions.
I also notice how lonely I feel at times now, when my own ability to reach out to others gets compromised by my fear of being hurt in the past.
I would describe myself as an outgoing person, by nature. I get along with people of all different kinds, and I find lots of pleasure getting to know about their unique interests, quirks, and beliefs.
Yet, this natural joy of human interaction has been jaded lately by many things, including my own lack of life spark.
My goal is to change that as part of this year-long process.
I look forward to gaining the skills that:
- allow my mood and attitude to be consistent, regardless of the actions of others
- remind me that the desires of myself and others can all co-exist
- continue my own expansion of desires, using the contrast of others as a sharpening tool to find my own way
- allow me to find value in all relationships, the easy and the tough
- allow me to appreciate others, regardless of our differences
- remind me that I am the only one who has power over me (and not others)
- train my response to others, so I do not reach to them out of negativity or limitation
- keep my focus on being happy, regardless of the happiness of others
- remind me that I am not responsible for the happiness of others
- allow me to see the best potential in others, even if they are not living it at the moment
My goal list does go on, and there are numerous tools that I am excited to revisit over the next few months that do make these skills a reality.
In the meantime, I'm going to start today as a blank slate (which is a conscious choice, since I had a nightmare that someone shot me in the head just before I woke up this morning).
I choose to expect the best from others, and not take it personally when that is not evoked in our interactions. I'm going to appreciate the relationships that make my heart sing ... and soar high on the love I get to experience (from myself and others) today!
What's on your mind as to the status of your many relationships? What are your goals with them?
Here are some questions to reflect on those now:
- What relationships would I like to see enhanced during, or after, this next year
- What ways am I able to give, or share, with my community (family, included)?
- Who are the specific people in my life that offer encouragement? In what ways do I receive their encouragement?
- in what ways do I share support and encouragement to others?
- Who are people in my life that I admire? Why?
- Are there any negative or damaging relationships in my life? If so, how can I shift them into a positive one? If a shift is not possible, how can I let them go?
- Of O'm in an intimate relationship, am I satisfied? If so, why? If not, why not ... and what would I like to see differently?
- In what ways can I enhance the intimacy with my spouse or significant other over the next two months?
- How do I take time to show my family, children, and loved ones I care?